MENU
CLOSE

Ten Wright Houses Toured on Conservancy’s Out and About Tour

More than 100 people braved rainy weather to tour 10 spectacular Wright-designed houses in the Chicago suburbs on our annual bus tour Out and About Wright tour weekend, April 28-30, 2017. The Chicago area is home to the largest concentration of Wright-designed buildings in the world, but few travel far enough afield to see the full range of Wright’s work in northern Illinois, which includes some of the earliest works of Wright’s careers and some of the latest, Prairie-style houses and Usonians, a farmhouse and Wright’s only house designed for a person in a wheelchair.

The tour included the Kenneth and Phyllis Laurent House (1949) in Rockford, Pettit Chapel (1906) in Belvidere, the Louis Fredrick House (1954) in Barrington Hills, Muirhead Farmhouse (1950) in Hampshire, Mrs. A.W. Gridley House (1906) in Batavia, where guests enjoyed an end-of-day reception, the Frank Henderson House (1901) in Elmhurst, the Charles Glore House (1951) in Lake Forest, and the Sherman Booth House (1915) in Glencoe. Two additional Wright-designed houses in the Ravine Bluffs community, the Kissam and Ross houses (both 1915) were surprise additions to the tour lineup. We also toured the landmark Bruce Goff-designed Ruth and Sam Ford House (1949) in Aurora and had a special dinner for board and Leadership Circle members at the Walter Burley Griffin-designed William Emery House (1903) in Elmhurst.

Thank you to all of the homeowners who hosted us and everyone who attended! Check out some of our photos on Flickr and join us again next year in another Wright-filled destination!

 

Posted on May 4, 2017

Back to All Posts