Ravine Bluffs Bridge and Sculptures
Glencoe, IL 1915
In 1911 Wright designed an elaborate estate for his attorney, Sherman Booth, with a bridge spanning a ravine and leading to the house. The estate’s original design was later transformed into Ravine Bluffs, a suburban development of twenty-three lots. Five other Wright-designed houses—still private residences—were constructed at Ravine Bluffs in 1915. The bridge was located to serve as a city street. Wright also designed the low sculptural square urns and rectangular light pillars found at each end of the bridge as well as the three recently restored sculptures at the subdivision entrances. After structural deterioration, the bridge was reconstructed in 1985 with a precise replica.
For more information:wrightinglencoe.org