Little Second House, Library Reconstruction
Allentown, PA 1912
The large and complex house Wright designed for Francis and Mary Little on Minnesota’s Lake Minnetonka was among the richest expressions of the Prairie aesthetic. Before the building was demolished in 1972, critical sections were saved, including this library. Originally located to the left of the house’s asymmetrically placed entrance, the library functioned primarily as a reception area. Large art-glass windows on the east and south walls overlooked a terrace and the lawn respectively. The west wall was lined with oak bookshelves. The library was reconstructed in the Allentown Art Museum as part of a 1975 expansion by architect Edgar Tafel.
For more information:allentownartmuseum.org