Darwin D. Martin House
Buffalo, NY 1903
Darwin D. Martin (1865-1935) was CEO of the Larkin Company and a remarkable client of Wright’s. The elaborate multi-residential estate he commissioned includes the main Darwin D. Martin House (1904-05), the George and Delta Barton House (1903) for Martin’s sister Delta, and the Gardener’s Cottage (1909). The Martin House is a quintessential expression of Wright’s Prairie house ideal, characterized by its low profile, cruciform plan, spatial openness, pronounced horizontality, dramatic pier and cantilever construction, and natural palette of materials. There are nearly 400 individual art glass windows throughout the estate. The grounds contain some of the most comprehensive residential gardens ever designed and executed by Wright.
For more information:darwinmartinhouse.org