Corbin Education Center
Wichita, KS 1958
Wright was commissioned in 1957 to design classroom, office and laboratory space for Wichita State University’s College of Education. His plans were completed in 1958, but inadequate funding delayed construction until 1963, when only one of two designed buildings was completed. The building contains more than 27,000 square feet. The fenestration includes large exposures of polished plate glass, which were later covered with bronze screen sunshades. The roof fascia is exposed stone aggregate, colored to blend with the brick. The concrete canopies of the belvederes are rimmed with turquoise fascia. Slender light towers extend 60 feet through openings in the canopies. The center is open to visitors when university classes are in session.
For more information:wichita.edu/thisis/buildingtour/?tour_sysid=19