Joined: 17 Sep 2005
Location: Mason City, IA
|Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:47 pm Post subject: Memorial Celebration for Dr. Joseph Rorke
|Memorial Celebration for Dr. Joseph Rorke
A public Memorial Celebration of Dr. Rorke’s life will be held on Saturday, February 8 at 4:30pm at Taliesin West, 12621 N. Frank Lloyd Wright Boulevard, Scottsdale, AZ. The celebration will include tributes to this great member of the Taliesin community and fond remembrances of Dr. Joe's extraordinary life. RSVPs for this event may be sent to Donna Sauer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dr. Joe met Frank Lloyd and Olgivanna Wright in 1956 and soon moved his family from Pennsylvania to Arizona and the Taliesin West community where they lived in tents for the next eight years. Dr. Joe served as the personal physician to Mr. and Mrs. Wright and their apprentices. After Mr. Wright’s death in 1959, he was an advisor to Mrs. Olgivanna Wright and assisted her general operations of the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation for many years.
From 1985 until his death, Dr. Joe tirelessly published The Whirling Arrow, a comprehensive chronicle of current and historical Taliesin and Taliesin West events and stories, visitor statistics, weather reports and a prime showcase for Dr. Joe’s sparkling wit and deep intellect. Most Foundation employees and visitors will always remember their first encounters with Dr. Joe at Taliesin West as he lined them up against a wall, told them to smile and snapped a photo that would be immortalized in the next edition of The Whirling Arrow.
In lieu of flowers, the family asks that those who wish to do so make a donation to the Dr. Joseph Rorke Memorial Education Fund which will support the educational outreach program of The Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation. Gifts may be made to The Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation and sent to The Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation, Attn: Dr. Joseph Rorke Memorial Education Fund, P.O. Box 4430, Scottsdale, AZ 85261. Gifts may also be made online through the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation website.
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond