Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Mark Mills Designed Residence For Sale In Carmel
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wrightgeek

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Mark Mills Designed Residence For Sale In Carmel Reply with quote

Photos and video. Not really my cup of tea, but certainly very organic.

http://bottomline.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/09/04/13595068-listing-of-the-week-a-sea-shell-by-the-sea-shore
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.fark.com/comments/4822406/The-worlds-seven-weirdest-houses-Yes-toilet-house-is-there-So-is-wall-house-And-one-where-owner-levitated-huge-limestone-slabs-with-magic

Near bottom of the page: "If you've driven up the [San Francisco] peninsula on 280 you've seen this monstrosity . . ." (which, at least, hasn't always been painted like a freshly-cooked lobster).

Now I know where the inspiration for this poor animal may have come from: no less a light than Mark Mills !
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Mills was one of the best of the Taliesin lot, but this house is beyond the Pale. It looks to me less like a lobster than a barnacle.
JimM

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDR wrote:
http://www.fark.com/comments/4822406/The-worlds-seven-weirdest-houses-Yes-toilet-house-is-there-So-is-wall-house-And-one-where-owner-levitated-huge-limestone-slabs-with-magic

Near bottom of the page: "If you've driven up the [San Francisco] peninsula on 280 you've seen this monstrosity . . ." (which, at least, hasn't always been painted like a freshly-cooked lobster).

Now I know where the inspiration for this poor animal may have come from: no less a light than Mark Mills !

I thought of that house immediately! Took 280 often living in San Mateo, at least it added interest versus surrounding the "run of the mill"!
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there's that. Then you passed the statue of Father Junipero Serra -- another frightful object. We used to joke about pulling it down . . .

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=father+junipero+serra+statue&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

SDR
JimM

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! How could I forget that statue!

My home town in New York put up a similarly grotesque statue to "honor" firemen. It was holding a hose and nozzle which was visibly terminated at its feet, as if cut like a sausage. The face appeared to be copied from Easter Island. I always feared they would dig it up eons from now and think we actually looked like that!
mdgraham

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This link was forwarded to me by Janey Bennett on Mark Mills 'Papers' in the Special Collections of Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, where they are now archived.

http://www.kcet.org/arts/artbound/counties/san-luis-obispo/coastal-modern-mark-mills-architect.html

The June Foster Haas House (1969) leads the write-up in its natural finish. now as referrred here as a fresh cooked lobster. And correct it was not originally this color. The spray applied gunite was the natural colored concrete with walnut shells mixed in for texture in the original construction.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lobster or sand castle, it's still ugly ... almost obscene.
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

50 year career? Died in 2007? Would like to see more of his work.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Issue 10, Spring 1993 of JTF features an article about Mills by Janey Bennett and photographer Al Weber, in which is it announced that they were collaborating on a book about Mills. I've yet to see anything else about it.

The JTF article focuses on several houses with vaulted roof systems (including the lurching barnacle). The other 4 examples are all excellent. He would make my short list of The Best Of Taliesin.

Other sources include quite a few HB issues, one issue of Architectural Record in the 70s and a Sunset Book, "New Homes For Western Living," 1956, which includes a favorite of mine, a small (815 sf) A-frame in Carmel. Unfortunately, that house, being in a very rich neighborhood, has been expanded greatly in a manner similar to the disastrous mauling of Jack Hilmer's Ludekens House.
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks RG. H&I, by the way, had the book on HHH for $16. Thanks again.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another brief source is Tobias Guggenheimer's book "A Taliesin Legacy, The Architecture of FLW Apprentices" (VNR, 1995). In addition to the barnacle, on page 21 are a plan and section of the Desert House Mills did with Soleri and page 31 has one photo of the Brock House in Los Gatos (1962) which was featured in Architectural Record.
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RG, do you know how he concealed the light switches ... or is it outlets ...maybe both?
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, not sure what the point of your question is.
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RG, Sorry - I wasn't clear. The article posted about MM's work states that in, at least one of those houses he concealed the light switches and maybe even the outlets (not sure precisely) ... but I was just wondering if you knew what the detail of that is? I guess I'm stumped. I mean it sounds like a great idea but how does one go about it? One might hide them behind reveals or put them in recessed holes with doors ... I don't know. I've never seen concealed light switches before, ever ... at least I don't think I have.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: