Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

I need your help identifying a Usonian! UPDATE with PHOTOS
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boingcj7

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: I need your help identifying a Usonian! UPDATE with PHOTOS Reply with quote

I need your assistance in identifying a Usonian style house near where I grew up. I have been in the house on several occasions but not have the report with the owners any longer to ask about the design and architect of the house.

It is a tri-level home in Hartland, Wisconsin. Any information on the property would be much appreciated. I have included a Bing map with its location.

Thanks!

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=r5q5zy7n3dcn&lvl=19.102081834192216&dir=358.05429969111924&sty=b&sp=Point.r5q6hm7n3cmh_Usonian%20House____&where1=Hartland%2C%20Waukesha%20Co.%2C%20WI&form=LMLTCC

Last edited by boingcj7 on Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scott T.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Boing,

The house was designed by LaVern Lantz for the Hekkers family. Lantz was not a Wright apprentice, but designed many really great houses in the Hartland area. I believe he was self-taught, actually.

Best, Scott
boingcj7

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scott! Do you know the locations of any of his other houses?
Scott T.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed I do. I know of several confirmed Lantz houses, and a few that I suspect are Lantzes. If you're in the area and want to drive around and do the research, I'd be very happy to hear the results. I'll build a Google map of Lantzes and suspected Lantzes, and supply a link here soon.

How did you stumble on the Hekkers House? I've never seen it; do you have photos? I went to school with the son of the Hekkerses and only learned about a year ago—20 years after we graduated—that he lived in a Lantz house.

If you're interested in Lantz, you should contact his widow, Mollie. I haven't gotten around to it yet, but someone ought to try to compile a list of built Lantz houses with Mollie's help. She's getting on in years. Do a Switchboard search for her name in Delafield, WI.
Scott T.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(When I say I'll post a map "soon", I mean no earlier than tonight. I'm at work right now.)

Last edited by Scott T. on Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scott T.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, here's a map of Lantzes and suspected Lantzes.

http://tinyurl.com/LaVernLantz

The confirmed Lantzes are listed above the mystery houses. I found the mysteries basically by scanning Google satellite views and pinning anything with an interesting roof; I have no idea if the houses are even Usonian or interesting when viewed from the ground, but I suspect they are, and they're on Lantz turf.

In addition to the sites on this map, there are quite a few Lantzes and other Usonianish houses in a nifty enclave south of I-94 and west of Hwy 89. The houses are hard to discern and pin in satellite view, but take 89 south from 94 and then turn west on Hillside Drive. From there, explore all of Hillside Dr., Hillside Ct., Sunset View Dr., Indian Spring Dr., and Brookside Ct. You have to have an eagle eye to spot everything, and I'm not sure I've even seen everything that's back there, but there are some terrific Usonians by Lantz and others. Might want to wait until there are fewer leaves on the trees—it's lush in there and many homes are nestled back amongst the trees.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Scott T. on Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Scott T.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've added one pin in the "nifty enclave" at 1908(?) Hillside Dr., just because it's a confirmed Lantz and you can't see it through the trees in Google's satellite view. You can see it in Bing's bird's eye views (click below); it's basically a long oval in plan. To the west is a nifty house with a tall pentagonal hub in about the middle. I've seen a lot of geometry in houses, but I can't think of another residential example of a pentagonal plan element. Can anyone else? I mean, a regular pentagon, with five 108° interior angles?

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=r57h3w7n174t&lvl=19.503451432888852&dir=355.960310608597&sty=b&where1=1908%20Hillside%20Dr%2C%20Delafield%2C%20WI%2053018&form=LMLTCC
boingcj7

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. That is some good work. I now live in Chicago. One of my friends parents live in the house. I don't have any pictures of it, but it is an awesome house. The entrance is on the mid level of the house. It has a half flight of stairs up and down from there. Kitchen, living room, dining room, and master bed and bath are on the upstairs. The downstairs has two more bedrooms, one bathroom and another small living room. It also has the laundry room and an exit to the long garage. It has room for 4 cars but only is as wide as a two stall garage.

Thanks for all this info. Next time I go back to my parents house, I will have to drive around and check out all of these homes.
boingcj7

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also know the house in North Prairie is a Laverne Lantz. It is for sale and it is the only thing that came up when googling his name.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/W330s5137-County-Rd-E_Town-Of-Genesee_WI_53153_M77559-50379?source=web
boingcj7

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any pictures of either of the first two houses? Their footprints look awesome and it would be great to see some more photos!
Scott T.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing the link to the Lantz for sale — I was unaware that was on the market, and that also confirms one of my suspected Lantzes. Cool house, great price!

I have never seen photos online of the first two houses, both designed by Lantz for himself and Mollie, but I've been in both of them. The first when it was for sale probably close to 15 years ago, and the second by invitation from Mollie, whom I met randomly at the Kettle Moraine Curling Club. She was wearing a name tag and I asked her if she were related to LaVern Lantz. The second house is un-be-lievable. I took some photos while I was there. It would take me a while to find them, but I might be able to. There's an incredible sunroom with a glass ceiling and canted walls of glass — of course the whole glazed area is supported by rhythmic wood ribs — the house is obviously on an equilateral-triangle or hexagonal module, so the sunroom has an elongated hexagonal shape, and in the corners where the glass walls and ceiling meet, there's three-way mitred glass. Red hexagonal tile on the floor ... it's one of my favorite rooms ever. Some of the best, most creative Wrightian architects were not taught directly by Wright, but figured it out through their admiration for Wright and their own imaginations. I'll try to hunt down those photos.
boingcj7

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Stopped by the Lantz House today! Reply with quote

On my from Madison to Milwaukee today for work I decided to check out the Lantz's in Delafield. I pulled up to the cul de sac and got out of the car to look at the semi-circle house to the east of the two Lantz homes.

Low and behold Mollie Lantz is out in the driveway of her home and asks if I am looking for someone. I said, I am up here looking at these houses and she says, "My husband designed these homes." I said you must be Mrs. Lantz. She said yes and after some small talk she invited me into her home to give me the grand tour.

I did not take any pictures while inside but asked up the courage to take some while walking around the back yard. The home is set up on a hexagon grid and includes some very interesting architecture. The house was built in 1966.

Here are some pictures I took of the back of the home and of the small guest house. It was an incredible experience, and I asked if I could come back to learn more about her husband and the homes he designed. Please let me know if you have any questions about the home or if there is interest to learn more about the man and his homes.

https://picasaweb.google.com/103655543154997209933/LavernAndMollieLantzHome1966?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCIOFg9jCk9Pd2wE&feat=directlink
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is very handsome work. We need to know more about this architect.
steveb

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Hillside Lantz House Reply with quote

Just noticed the comment about the "nifty" house at 1908 Hillside. I bought it from Laverne Lantz about 27 yrs ago and we love it.
sits on the lot as if it was always there. 180 view of the woods out the back thru 10' high glass windows. 1/2 berm rear (north side)

Cheers,

Steve
boingcj7

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

I just looked at a house for sale at 2007 Hillside Court. I guess I didn't realize it but that is a neighboring property.

It is a beautiful house, but I feel a little overpriced.

I have driven past your home many times admiring it. I am still looking for my organic gem to move into.

Thanks!

Kyle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: