Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

MY OWN PHOTOS... WALKER RESIDENCE, CARMEL-CALIFORNIA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't find photos of the original bedrooms. Here are two more interior photos, of the added bedroom and
the kitchen, and two exteriors that show the bedroom end of the house. Photos by Alan Weintraub.

Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If three things were altered, this would be the perfect FLW house: 1. The roof should be restored to the original configuration using blue/green patinaed copper; 2. Something should be done about the rubble wall, concealment by an additional layer of stone laid properly or planting; 3. replacement of the asphalt drive with a more sympathetic material. I can't figure out how the door affects the kitchen, but that could probably go as well. The master bedroom expansion was done beautifully, and does not in the least detract from the design.
peterm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we're nit-picking, I am not sure that the chandelier is the best method of illuminating that amazing, compact kitchen...
jwest

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, I think the master bedroom extension helps the house.
guanche

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I agree, I think the master bedroom extension helps the house

yes, probably... the extension looks so natural... but it is so difficult to see without a plan that shows how that extension was made
jwest

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, judging by the second plan that wjsaia posted and looking at the photos on that side of the house, one can easily conclude that the master bedroom expansion is nothing more than a stretched version of the original form.
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This aerial photo that Bill posted is a good place to start. Note that the carport roof is not built as most of the drawings (p 3) show; it ends in a half-
hexagon rather than an oblique point; the extended bedroom roof echoes that shape, and is just a couple of feet (?) longer than the carport roof.

I will attempt to create, from the last (most accurate) plan drawing that Bill posted and this aerial view of the roof, an approximate drawing of what was
built -- at least in outline.

SDR
wjsaia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walker House Carport Roof as Built

SDR, the cypress hedge and shadows in the GoogleEarth bird’s eye view obscure the sharp, pointed form of the west end of the carport roof. I do not think that this feature has been modified from the way it was constructed in 1951-52, as shown in the above photo.

Plan 2 on Page 3 does indicate the plan configuration that was built, I’d say.

I join other readers in acknowledging your fine contributions to this forum. I’m sure that many readers feel as I do – that is to say, enriched – by your continued and reliable presence amongst us.

With great appreciation,

Bill Schwarz
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lopping off the sharp corner would seem to require editing the stone column, which I cannot imagine anyone with an ounce of sensitivity doing, so I agree, wjsaia, it's the foliage hiding the point.
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bill and Roderick -- of course it make sense that they (Sandy Walker et al) wouldn't have modified the carport roof.

I am part way through tracing the roof visible in the aerial photo, so you caught me in good time.

SDR
wjsaia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Ringstrom wrote:
"From April 1951, the work took nearly two years, costing $125,000. In 1956, when Della Walker moved in with her new husband, Wright designed an addition." - Frank Lloyd Wright Field Guide

Back again to this . . . Tom Heinz’s dating of the Walker house master bedroom expansion as 1956 and his attribution of its design to FLlW in his Guide didn’t ring true, so I undertook a bit of primary research.

Naturally, this meant renting the film “A Summer Place” from Netflix.

“A Summer Place” was filmed in the spring of 1958, and, as you can see below, the addition had not been constructed by that date. Earlier in this thread, there is a post discussing Mrs. Walker’s preference to have her grandson, Sandy Walker, design the bedroom expansion; yet Plan 2 on Page 3 curiously shows a scrawled sketch plan by FLlW of such an addition.

A possible explanation comes to mind. Mrs. Walker could have initially approached FLlW about this contemplated addition in advance of her pending marriage to James van Loben Sels. She was planning a June 1959 wedding. It could have been in 1958 or early 1959 that FLlW made his indication for a bedroom expansion on Taliesin’s Sheet 2 Floor Plan working drawing transparency, put it aside for some reason, and then died on April 9, 1959.

Perhaps it was only upon FLlW’s death that Mrs. Walker elected to turn to her grandson for him to carry through with the design of the room expansion. It would have been at this point, perhaps, that Aaron Green concluded it was best not to challenge her with any intention of diverting her from her understandable decision to proceed with Sandy Walker.

The following are some frames from “A Summer Place”, shot off the screen:

Walker House from Carmel Beach As Filmed in “A Summer Place” in 1958 (No MBR Expansion; No MBR Fireplace Chimney; Original Enameled Steel Roof Covering)

Walker House Bedrooms and Carport Roof, As Filmed in “A Summer Place” in 1958

Walker House Carport As Filmed in “A Summer Place” in 1958

Great Dialogue, Dorothy McGuire to Sandra Dee in “A Summer Place”

Walker House Entry As Filmed in “A Summer Place” in 1958

Walker House Interior for "A Summer Place," Created on Hollywood Set

Aerial View of Walker House Enameled Steel Roof Filmed in “A Summer Place” in 1958

Swarthy Richard Egan Beneath Rusting-out Enameled Steel Roofing Edge of Walker House in “A Summer Place,” Filmed in 1958

Actors Sandra Dee, Troy Donahue, and Richard Egan on Location at Walker House for 1958 Filming of "A Summer Place"

The film isn’t very good, incidentally, but the few seconds of the scenes in which the exteriors of the Walker house appear are lovely to look at.

So is Dorothy McGuire.

WJS

Last edited by wjsaia on Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, Bill. Lots to see there. Note the set designer bringing in Wright's stone and special glazing, but also a new ceiling treatment, a railing, a more
conventional fireplace (on an outside wall, and with brick to compete with the stone) -- and, apparently, more interior space ?

I'll reprise one of guanche's photos, to compare with your first screen grab.

Pat Mahoney

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: enameled roof panel Reply with quote

One of the enameled fascia panel samples survives and is part of the furnishings acquired with the San Francisco Field Office. If there is interest, parts of the office/furnishings may be on exhibit during the gala at the Buffalo Conference. It is not a casual undertaking as the office was crated in 29 large plywood containers by the Carnegie in 2000.
I am reviewing the inventory to select pieces.
Pat Mahoney
peterm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wjsala-

Thanks for the great flick pics!

Drawing by Madelaine Thatcher, Published in the March 1954 Issue of House and Home

Referring back to the House and Home 1954 plan (which I assume from wjsala's description, is the as built plan)... Have any of you seen, and if so, could you describe, the small triangular table/headboard which appears in both of the guest bedrooms. Could it be that this table is flush with the top of the bed?

This is a detail that I have been curious about since I first saw the plan.
wjsaia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, I omitted one important image that I had intended to include. What a beautiful roof, and what a great shot of it. Filming of this scene must have been from a tower, and there is another scene of the western end of the house later on taken from a similarly high perspective – one cannot view the roof at this angle while standing on the ground surface. The original working drawings showed a Bermuda seam copper roof, and the story goes that copper material was so unattainably scarce in 1952 on account of the Korean War effort that FLlW turned to the enameled steel alternative. I think one can safely presume that the present copper roof covering was installed at the time the bedroom addition was constructed, meaning about 1960.

Walker House, As Filmed in “A Summer Place” in 1958

I’ve also inserted this shot at its appropriate point in the sequence of photos in the earlier post, above. The raised planter box outside the master bedroom window is at sill height, and the car has just come down the driveway, pulling to a stop right against the bedroom window, not under the carport roof. After a cut, in the next movie scene the passengers are getting out of their car, but it has been relocated to the far opposite (southern) end of the carport for that subsequent scene.

WJS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: