Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

David Wright House (Phoenix, AZ - 1950) video tour

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: David Wright House (Phoenix, AZ - 1950) video tour Reply with quote

Here's a realtor's video tour of the David Wright House - [4:11]

David
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear.

All that energy, at another site, to get four interested parties to acquire Lautner's desert motel -- and they couldn't pull it off. And that was before the real estate bust. What are the chances that this treasure will become the property of more than one individual, much less become available to many of the Faithful ?

Thanks for the link. Views of David Wright not previously seen by the unwashed. Now, if only that LA-area realtor with the spectacular slide shows would list this one. . !.

SR
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Favorite David Wright images:

SDR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Corbett - May. 31, 2008 12:00 AM

The Arizona Republic

It is a rare find, an available Frank Lloyd Wright-designed home in the Valley that has not been compromised by alterations.

Tucked away in Arcadia, the 1952 spiral-shaped home was designed by Wright for his son, David. It features a second-level living area and a small, shaded courtyard with an almond-shaped swimming pool.

"It could be among the most significant" Wright houses in the Valley, said Anne Lloyd Wright-Levi, great-granddaughter of the world-famous architect. "You don't think about it as a kid growing up."

Wright, who spent winters at his Scottsdale architectural enclave Taliesin West for two decades before his death in 1959, designed nearly 350 homes that are still standing.

Wright-Levi grew up next door to her grandparents, David and Gladys Wright, in a home designed by her uncle, Frank Lloyd Wright Jr.

Gladys Wright died in February at age 104. David Wright died 11 years ago.

Wright-Levi and other heirs intend to put the David Wright House on the market within a few weeks, she said.

It is one of seven Wright-designed homes in the Valley, built in the 1950s.

"They are American icons of design," Realtor Scott Jarson said of the Wright houses.

The last Wright home sold in the Valley - the Adelman House in Phoenix - went for about $1.2 million five years ago, Jarson said.

A price has not been set for the David Wright House, but would likely be in the millions. It sits on 2 acres with views of nearby Camelback Mountain.

Buyers can expect to pay a premium of 15 to 40 percent for a Wright home, compared with a home of similar age and size, said Ron Scherubel, executive director of the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy, a non-profit Chicago group.

"These houses are holding or increasing in value quite well," Scherubel said. "It's a market that is less affected by the dips in the economy."

The David Wright House is a jewel of a home at 2,200 square feet. Mahogany window frames and the metal roof are weathered, but the concrete-block home appears to have held up well.

Other Wright homes on the market include a two-bedroom lakefront cottage in Stillwater, Minn., listed for $3.75 million, plus a ranch and house in Darby, Mont., selling for $7 million.

Wright-Levi expects there will be strong interest in the David Wright House. It is one of two homes Frank Lloyd Wright designed for his children, she said.

The adjacent home that Wright-Levi grew up in, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright Jr., is on the market for $2.8 million, Realtor Mark Gruender said.
Deke

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's one of his more interesting, dynamic designs, but $4 mil? I know real estate in Phoenix is high, but those are Bev Hills prices. The sad part is the note about the 2 acres...you can bet the buyer will carve that land up fast...sad as the home apparently once sat in a huge orange grove. There are reportedly a lot of heating issues with the house as the back side was surrounded with awnings on a recent visit to shade the home from the sun.

Deke
Wrighter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the awnings too, but given how close that back side is to the street, I wasn't sure if they were there because of the elements or because of privacy. They were quite an ugly element, and the day I visited was in November, and it wasn't particularly warm.
JimM

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be surprised if it did not fetch $4,000,000, especially in a neighborhood where prices in the low millions are not unusual.

Its design and provenance are impeccable. Frank at his best at an age when most people are pretty petered out.

It has one of his most beautiful interiors.
DRN

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the awnings on the house in the mid-90's as well. I had a very short edge of driveway conversation with Mr. Wright (David) in which I introduced myself and asked about the house. He indicated the sun was hot but also bright on older eyes.

My grandmother was about his age and said her eyes took too long to adjust from bright to dim. Apparently, to move from a bright room to a dimmer corridor could leave her almost blind for a few minutes.

My guess is the awnings (actually canvas exterior drapes) solved some heat gain and light level issues without spoiling the interior with blinds or curtains. I'm sure at that age David and Gladys rarely ventured out other than to pick up mail, so the exterior appearance was of relatively low importance to them. I thought the solution a good one as it did no permanent damage to the house's exterior or its interior woodwork.
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are now a number of more subtle solutions to choose from, I suppose -- from tinted and coated glass, to glass with a micro-louver insert, to interior (or exterior ?) roll-screens.

[Speaking of screens, the new copper ones at Rosenbaum (see Mark Hertzberg's photos) could do with a more professional stretch-installation, it looks like !]

SDR
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the Lykes House went for $5M without much trouble, and without two acres, $4M for David's house should be easy.

While designing the house, FLW gave a sketch of the decorative concrete blocks that line the bottom edge of the main floor (see SDR's first photo, by Pedro Guerrero) to John Geiger to draw up for manufacture. Try as he might, John could not get the drawing to work with any combination of circular arcs produced by a compass, so ultimately, he just drew it freehand.

After the house was finished, FLW felt something wasn't quite right. Then he figured out that the circular form of the design needed something to anchor it; it seemed to be spinning out of control. So he added the long, low, straight wall that leads from the driveway, under the house into the courtyard. See Guerrero's book "Picturing Wright" page 128.
DavidC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two articles on consecutive days by the same journalist:

"$3.99 million Wright home hits market"

"Spiral house in Arcadia is all Wright"

There is a very brief video on the top right of the page.

Be sure to view the slideshow listed as "Tour the Wright home" under "MORE ON THIS TOPIC" - also on the right side of the page.

David
therman7g

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: The David And Gladys Wright House Collection Reply with quote

See:
http://parkhurstrarebooks.com/Frank%20Lloyd%20Wright%20Catalog%20A.pdf
Olgivanna

Location: Taliesin, Spring Green, WI & Taliesin West, Scottsdale, AZ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was doing a search for the for the Arch. Forum 1938 that was mentione din another link and this is waht I came accross. Looks like the Wright's are also selling off pieces of the house like letters, drawings. This is some serious money here. Note how the drawing is original colored pencil and not orginal blueline drawings.

http://parkhurstrarebooks.com/Frank%20Lloyd%20Wright%20Catalog%20A.pdf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: