The amazingly beautiful 1897 Frank Lloyd Wright Isidore Heller house is located at 5132 South Woodlawn Avenue, in the Hyde Park community that surrounds the University of Chicago. It was Wright’s first work in the Hyde Park neighborhood.
The Heller house was designated a Chicago Landmark in 1971 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1972. In August of 2004, the house was designated a National Historic Landmark.
The approximately 6100 square foot house is on a 75x164 foot lot; it has a two-car garage. An original elevator services all three floors and the basement.
The 16-room house has seven bedrooms, four bathrooms, a 35 x 22 foot dining room and a 16 x 15 foot kitchen with four pantries. The third floor consists of an enormous family room, a kitchen, two bedrooms and a bathroom. It functions well as an apartment.
There are four fireplaces (in the living room, dining room, the master bedroom and one additional bedroom);magnificent oak woodwork and floors and exquisite stained glass windows, in three different patterns.
The house is centrally air-conditioned on the first and second floors. (The electrical upgrades were done in 2006.) All systems are in excellent condition.